Bees – those beloved insects that nature has endowed with thousands of qualities – are capable of creating a surprising (in terms of construction and coherence) beehive -their own city. Ancient Greeks did not neglect studying the bees and their architectural styles for the beehive defense. Their priority, since bees were already a source of inspiration to them, was to give a name to the material the bees used in order to complete this constructive labor. After studying this particular material that the bees placed in the entrance of the beehive in order to protect it from the enemy, they called it “propolis” (polis=city in Greek), thus giving it the name that best describes its capacity for defense.
Nowadays, propolis still holds this sage name reminding us of its properties that contribute in:
- The protection and defense of the beehive-city and its inhabitants by all sorts of enemies.
Let us see what propolis is all about: the plants cover their buds and soft leaves with a thin, resin film, in order to protect them from any kind of attack. Bees collect this resin film from the willow trees, early in the spring. (in the temperate regions of Europe, bees collect the 95% of the natural ingredients of propolis from willow and elm trees)
- Elm trees
- Chestnut trees
- Pine trees
- Oak trees
- Heathers (sousoura)
and, after mixing it with their own secretions, they use it as a construction material in order
- a) to fortify their beehive-city
- b) to make the entrance to the hive smaller so that only the bees can get in and out of the hive, keeping any dangerous outsider away
- c) to insulate the hive using the propolis as an insulator, sealing any crack crevices and holes in the walls
- d) to prepare the royal chambers where the Queen Bee is going to give birth
Nevertheless, the propolis properties are much more than those used in the construction of the hive.
The bees use it to sterilize their hive from any infectious disease. This product -propolis- was used by the Ancient Greek doctors and pharmafologists for medicinal, medical and nutritional purposes; Hippocrates was the first among them.
Hippocrates recommended propolis for the cure of various diseases and ulcers, such as inner and outer ulcers, infections etc.
Propolis is made of:
+/- 5% pollen
+/- 10% ethereal oils
+/- 30% wax
+/- 55% resin and balms
+/- 5% various organic and inorganic substances
It is rich in:
And a large number of other unknown substances and blends that work in synergy creating this miracle of nature and the bees. The variety of these propolis substances is really impressive. Each and every one of them disposes of a great, essential therapeutic value! It is interesting to know that studies prove that regardless of the country of origin or the race of the bee, the action of propolis remains the same, although its ingredients may sometimes vary.
This resinous substance is therefore a very powerful medicine internationally recognized, a result of research and experiments
Experiments and studies have proved that propolis has antivirus and antifungal properties, since it has been able to extinguish 25 out of 29 kinds of bacteria! It has also ceased the growth pf 20 out of 39 kinds of funghi!
A lot of scientific, research studies have been conducted in the ex-USSR and propolis has been acknowledged as a the “totally natural anti-virus and that is why in many of those States propolis is very well-known as the “Russian Penicillin” and this is not exaggerating at all!
These properties have been clinically proved and verified in thousands of various, registered cases all around the world. Propolis is more efficient than penicillin and other modern, anti-virus medicines cannot resist its power. It has been proved to act against the virus of:
- Herpes (extremely efficient in the cure, healing of the wounds that relate to the virus and the relief of the symptoms)
- Fungal stomatitis
- It has a powerful action against the phymatiosis bacteria
- Helps in the regeneration of tissues
- Is a superior and extensive source if energy and stamina
- Enforces the immune system and plays an important role as to the innate as well as the acquired immunity.
- It helps the cure:
- Of solar burns and all kinds of burns in general
- Eye inflammations and diseases
- Ulcerous gingivitis
- Ulcerous stomatitis
- Respiratory infections
- Asthma and chronic pneumonia
- Otitis media and otitis
- Gynecological diseases (such as acute vaginitis, fighting the Giardia intestinalis parasite)
- Of viral and fungal infections
- Of wounds and ulcers
- Of stomach ulcer
- Of eczema and skin infections
This is propolis and its properties, one of the many bee products for which the biologist Roch Domerego and doctor Théodore Cherbuliez declare:
«The group of bee products is an endless and incredible source of energy, full of unthinkable beneficiary properties for our health» and, right after the end of a congress in Cuba, during which the results of the treatments with bee products were presented, ο Roch Domerego insists:
«Who could imagine that the cost of a treatment that is completed in 15 days and can actually defeat a viral pneumonia is just ONE dollar? »
The anti-allergy properties of propolis have been proved but there are some people (one among five thousand) that are actually allergic to bee products, so they should take extra care and always consult with their doctor first.